Custom Search

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Critical Thinking Assignment: Prejudicial vs. Nonprejudicial Statements

How can a person distinguish between the prejudicial and nonprejudicial use of rhetorical devices? Provide an example of each and comment on the examples posted by your classmates.

I think that a person can distinguish between the prejudicial and nonprejudicial use of rhetorical devices by trying to determine the purpose of the message; why is the author telling you this message? Is it simply to inform you of something or is the purpose of their message to persuade you into a certain school of thinking? I think that it can be very difficult to determine if a message is prejudicial or not; I think that people as a whole have their minds made up already about different topics. I find myself going into situations already resolved about the outcome but “allowing myself” to hear the other side of the conflict. Sometimes I am persuaded but often I find my thought process is, “Alright I already feel this way but let’s just see if this other person can make me feel differently.”

Prejudicial statement: Javon Walker is another former Bronco that head coach Mike Shannahan dumped that turned out to be a bum – good thing the Raiders picked him up!

Nonprejudicial statement: While Javon Walker currently got into some trouble, the jury is still out to determine whether head coach Mike Shannahan did a good thing by releasing the player due to character flaws.

No comments: